Tuesday, April 22, 2008

No Apologies Required.....


So with the outstanding news that Jake Long is now gonna make the Dolphins offensive line a bunch of Bad MotherBleeper MotherBleepers, it seems like I'm expected to issue an apology to Fins General Manager Jeff Ireland for the comments I made last week.

Um, yeah, not so fast.

First off, I stand by my opinion that last week's "pillar of our defense" segment was a boo-boo not a smokescreen. And yes, I understand that it's Bill Parcells, but there's a difference between not tipping your hand, and coming up with an elaborate 180 degree trick like your M Night Shamylan. And you tell me the last time the Tuna, or any good GM/personal czar came up with something that pre-meditated. Notice I said good, because the one that comes to mind was Randy Mueller pretending to fawn over Brady Quinn, only to pass on him for Ted Ginn and his family. And how did that one work out? Not so well.

Plus, I was at the press conference last week, just like I was at today's. And Jeff Ireland turned TOMATO RED when he realized his goof-up. If that was an acting performance, then Daniel Day-Lewis needs to hand over his Oscar. And interesting that today, although Ireland had a snappy retort when asked about his "Freudian Slip," on the whole, he seemed much more reserved and emotionless with his comments, aka he was COACHED.

So ultimately, I stand by my opinion that Jeff Ireland has done a solid job overall in the GM role(and whatever decisions he has been involved in making), but not so much in the media savvy department. It just so happens that this particular mistake didn't really matter too much, because the Fins had the No. 1 pick, and had their guy.

And that said, everyone gets a ton of credit for picking Jake Long, and not one a defensive lineman No. 1. It may seem like a no-brainer and the safe pick, but with an organization that has a whopping zero picks on their current roster from 1998-2003, most of the Dolphins picks have been no brainers. The other sense of the word. Glad to see that finally the Fins learn!

No comments: