Monday, March 31, 2008

I Love the Final Four!






Thank your lucky stars Davidson didn't beat Kansas yesterday.

Thank your lucky stars that Chalk rules, and this is the inaugural final 4 featuring all No. 1 seeds.

No, I'm not the local curmudgeon that hates Disney underdog stories. What Davidson, excuse me, what Stephan Curry and 11 random names did was remarkable. And I was rooting for them, much of the way. I would have rooted for them had Georgetown not been in my final Four. And of course, I wanted to see Davidson take out boring, lethargic, nauseating Wisconsin in the Sweet 16...By the way, Bo Ryan, don't be afraid to record any big wins one of these days!

But it's a good thing the run stopped there. For the same reasons that the two prior double digit seeds to make the Final Four, LSU(1986) and George Mason(2006) both suffered double digit losses in the semi-finals. There's a major difference between Bill Self and KU having one day to prepare for a team they know very little about, and those Final Four coaches enjoying nearly a week. Give Roy Williams a week and we will all realize the talent disparity. Give Ben Howland a week, and he can probably frustrate Stef Curry more than anyone else.




What we have with North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA and Memphis as the final quartet is the most unpredictable Final Four that I can remember. Would it surprise anybody if any of these schools are cutting down the nets and lip-synching to One Shining Moment? I'll stick with my UCLA pick, because of their ability to defend and score in the post with Love, plus Darren Collison has finally escaped the Witness Protection Program. However, UNC earned the No. 1 overall seed and has done everything to validate that decision thus far. Kansas finally got over the hump, and has the deepest team of the field. And as for Memphis, they've been the best performers in the Tourney, plus they shot 78 percent from the line the last two games. So, you give me the expert analysis on who's going to win?


Different feeling with Davidson in the mix. Great story, but I'd rather have the slipper break than plan for a nap through one of the Final Four games.






No comments: