Wednesday, March 12, 2008

American Idol Recap- Final 12




While this blog is mostly sports related, I am taking a hiatus to post about something I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to admit---American Idol is appointment viewing in this corner!




With this shaping up to be one of the better final 12's, this season should be very interesting. And while I'm not promising a weekly recap(I may need to refrain a couple weeks to retain my man card), I'll try to review as much as possible.

Here are my thoughts on yesterday's Beatles episode........

Syesha Mercado "Got To Get You into My Life"

Thoughts: It was the typical first performance by a mediocre performer. Nice vocals, she has a strong voice, but still was forgettable and karaoke-ish
Her Standing: She could be in trouble tonight, but there were a couple of performances much worse. Still, I'd be surprised if she's not one of the first three or four knocked off.
Chikeze "She's A Woman"
Thoughts: Everyone seems to be labeling this "his arrival", but I thought the wanna be Ruben Studdard has been strong every week except the first. Showed some versatility rocking out.

His Standing: Apparently, Chikeze was the odds on favorite for dismissal leading up to the show, so he'll last longer than the initial prognosis. I think he's probably in the middle of the pack.
Ramiele Malubay "In My Life"

Thoughts: ZZZZZZZ....Her free passes from Week 1 have officially worn off.

Her Standing: This was more boring versus Kristi Lee who was flat out abhorrent, but I think country chick has more of a fan base. Therefore, I think it's sayonarra for Miramar's finest(maybe not singing, but in another department:)


Jason Castro "If I Fell"

Thoughts: The vocals were good, the guitar added to the performance, but he's still known as the Jamiroquai looking guy more than Jason Castro.

His Standing: He'll last the first few rounds when the subpar performers get eliminated. After that, he's in trouble.
Carly Smithson "Come Together"

Thoughts: Awesome! Simon was not off-base comparing her to Kelly Clarkson. The best performance of the night.

Her Standing: For all intents and purposes, I think Carly is the best singer. However, like Katherine McPhee, she's gonna have to overcome others being more likable. She's still at least in the final 4 though, barring a disaster.

David Cook "Elenor Rigby"

Thoughts: A very Chris Daughtry-esque rock performance. Which means he knocked it out of the park.

His Standing: From the beggining, DC has been my dark horse pick. Depending on whether Archuletta isn't who we thought he was(Denny Green style), David may be the guy to beat.

Brooke White "Let It Be"

Thoughts: I agree with a synopsis I saw elsewhere online. This is the type of song where if you screw up one note, then you are done. She didn't screw up once.

Her Standing: She has the looks, the vulnerability(the one Paula says that makes sense-everything else she looks like she's on Queludes), the range, and the voice. I don't want to overreact about the great closing chokejob(see below), but I think she's the favorite.


David Hernandez "I Saw Her Standing There"

Thoughts: His voice is good enough to make big missteps in song choice seem tolerable at least. But this was a pretty bad misstep.

Will He Be Standing There: If a guy is in the bottom 3, it will be him. I think he survives this week, but unless he pulls another "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" out of his ass, it's back to the male strip club soon Mr. Hernandez!


Amanda Overmyer "You Can't Do That"

Thoughts: I don't get her at all. Yes, she's the male counterpart to Taylor Hicks in terms of looks. Yes, she's different than most contestants. But every song sounds the same: Manic, Unintelligable in parts, and not very good.

Her Standing: Of course most of America, and the judges seem to disagree. So mark her in the Scott Savol, Anthony Federov, Bucky Covington, and of course Sanjaya category as those who don't win, but go much farther than they should.


Michael Johns "Across the Universe"

Thoughts: I agree with Simon that Johns has the capability to knock a song out of the park and hasn't, but this was a much better performance than the mediocre reviews. Showed some range.

His Standing: Here's how much better this year's field is then last year. If this were Season 6, Michael Johns replaces Blake Lewis in the final 2. However, I think he's the fourth best guy behind Archuletta, Cook, and Chikeze.


Kristy Lee Cook "Eight Days a Week"

Thoughts: The ultimate mute performance. She's amazing to look at. This sounded like nails on a chalkboard. Honestly, one of the worst regular Idol performances ever.

Her Standing: A vast majority are predicting her to go home, and she should. But, she was bland throughout the first three weeks, when there were other hot singers getting eliminated. So she's developed enough of a fan base. Her fan base will vote in drones to try and save her. I think she lasts another week, but that's it.


David Archuletta "We Can Work it Out"

Thoughts: Some have suggested this was one of Idol's worst performances in a long time. That's being ridiculous. But talk about vomiting all over yourself with a chance to sew up the title this week!

His Standing: I'm counting on him rebounding big next week and retaining his spot as one of the favorites. But is he the one to beat still?? My money is on Brooke because I could see David faltering again down the road.














1 comment:

Trance Travel said...

Say it ain't so! American Idol JMP? You're my boy and all but damn, you're borderline on jumping the shark already!