Monday, July 27, 2009

What to Do With Vick? I Have No Idea...


The last time I consistently cranked out general sports talk shows was September 2007. The hot topic at that time was Michael Vick's recently imposed 23-month prison sentence, and whether he should be allowed to ever play football again when he became a free man. My contention at the time: I have no clue, because I don't know whether he will have rehabilitated himself by July/August 2009.

Flash forward to the present. Vick no longer incarcerated. And NFL commissioner Roger Goodell today announcing that Vick has been partially reinstated in the NFL, and could be green lighted to play after Week 5.

My reaction: I still have no clue. And most of you shouldn't either.

Let's step back and examine for a second. What Vick did was absolutely despicable, and deserved severe punishment. You can lament about 23 months(18 served) not being enough, but to me, compounding losing your freedom with relinquishing 130 million dollars, filing for bankruptcy, and forever being known first and foremost as the "dog killer" is quite a severe punishment. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel remorse for him in the slightest, but it is stiff.

That being said, while seeing your life turned upside down would cause a reasonable person to undergo a conscience metamorphosis, it doesn't guarantee that someone has "paid their debt to society." Just look at thousands of prisoners who serve time, have no life upon release, and then commit another crime. So while I would hope that Michael Vick is a changed man, I have no way of knowing that just based upon his release from jail.

However, I do believe that most offenders deserve an opportunity to do what they love if they have rehabilitated themselves. And that goes beyond giving them a second chance. Society shunning someone in Michael Vick's position could trigger them back into crime. And who's to say that if Vick became a successful NFL'er, he won't use his celebrity platform to speak against the unethical treatment of animals? It's all possible.

So where am I on the Michael Vick debate? The only place where I feel I can logically be: Supporting the decision of Roger Goodell. You can talk about sponsors/public pressure swaying him to suspend Vick for an additional 4 games, but there was no obligation for the NFL commissioner to ever re-instate Vick. By doing so, he believes Vick has/will rehabilitate himself. And that puts him in a better position to make the call than me or you, because he has more information on the alleged transformation of Vick than 99 percent of us.

I understand that my position of "let's defer to the commissioner" can be construed as more "soft" than most of my fellow media members. But for someone who believes in rehabilitation when warranted, there's no other choice.

One final note on Vick: No thanks to Denny Green, but I've now come around to the idea that the Dolphins would be interested in a non-guaranteed deal with Vick if Stephen Ross doesn't block it for PR reasons, which he may. And yes, unlike Denny Green, I'm aware of the Fins QB and Wildcat situation. But like Belly and unlike most others, Bill Parcells constructs rosters based on "the best 53", and not on position. So Michael Vick's place on the Fins could be anyplace from steering a 2nd wildcat package, to a slot receiver, to an extra defensive back, to a special teams demon. From a football standpoint, it's makes sense to bring Vick to Fins camp and decide whether he is one of the top 53 players on the roster.

No comments: